Fall Salad Love: Kale with Delicata Squash and Honeycrisp Apple
Is salad porn a thing to anyone else? This fall salad absolutely hit the spot- Kale, roasted delicata squash, red onion and toasted pecans, honey crisp apple and maple Dijon vinaigrette. It was every fall flavor we love in one bowl. Plus, we love how sturdy kale is- you can dress the salad and leave it for hours without winding up with a soggy mess. Make a huge batch for lunch and you've got leftovers for dinner! Plus this meal is loaded with fiber, and vitamins A, C and K and is super filling. It's a total power salad!
Photo Credit: Robyn Schmidt
Adapted from Paleo Running Mama
MAPLE DIJON DRESSING:
- 2 tablespoons Choc Zero maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 cups kale, roughly torn
- 1 delicata squash
- 1/2 honeycrisp apple
- 1/2 c pecans
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425
- Massage Kale with 1/2 tsp salt and let rest to soften.
- Cut delicata squash in half lengthwise and use a grapefruit spoon to scrape out the seeds. Slide into half rounds about 1/4 in thick.
- Cut red onion into wedges.
- Toss squash and onion with 1 tsp olive oil and salt and spread on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Roast for 45 min or until soft and caramelized. Add pecans for the last 8 minutes so they are warm and lightly toasted.
- Dice honeycrisp apple.
- Toss Kale, apple, and warm squash, onion and pecans with the maple dressing to taste. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!