RECIPE: Easy Paleo Chili Salmon
Salmon is by far one of our favorite sources of protein. Not only is it delicious, versatile and easy to prepare, it is a nutritional “superfood” with amazing health benefits.
Here are a few of the most impressive:
- Salmon is rich in EPA and DHA (long chain omega-3 fatty acids) which help to decrease inflammation (the root cause of most chronic disease), lower blood pressure, improve arterial cell function and reduce liver and belly fat.
- Salmon is also an excellent source of high-quality protein (~22 g in one serving!). Protein is an essential nutrient that stimulates cellular repair and healing, promotes joint, hair, skin and nail health, and helps build and maintain lean muscle mass.
- Salmon is one of the best sources of B vitamins. These vitamins are responsible for helping to convert your food to energy, reducing inflammation, and repairing DNA. They work synergistically to support healthy brain and nervous system function.
- Salmon contains more potassium than bananas! Potassium helps control blood pressure prevent excess water retention, thereby lowerring your risk of stroke.
- Salmon is also rich in the antioxidant astaxanthin (a carotenoid that gives wild salmon its deep red-orange pigment). This compound boasts numerous health benefits such as improving cholesterol levels (lowering HDL and raising HDL), reducing risk of heart disease, reducing inflammation in the brain and nervous system, and protecting against premature aging of the skin.
Including salmon in your diet may help with weight control by decreasing appetite, boosting metabolism and increasing insulin sensitivity. It may also help protect brain health by decreasing symptoms of anxiety and depression, lowering the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, and protecting fetal brain development in utero.
In a nutshell, making salmon a regular part of your diet is an excellent way to add delicious and nutritious variety to your meals and reap incredible health benefits to boot. We recommend 2 servings (~3.5 oz each) per week of wild-caught Alaskan salmon for optimal taste, nutritional value and sustainability.
Easy Chili Salmon
One of our easiest, quickest and most delicious fish marinades! It packs some heat plus the fresh taste of ginger. We use wild caught cod, halibut or salmon but this could be equally delish on shrimp or chicken! Air frying gives it a crisp exterior but keeps the fish moist and flavorful.
1 tbsp Fresh Chili Garlic Sauce (no added sugar)
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
Grated fresh ginger
2 4 oz wild caught fish filets, rinsed and dried- cod or salmon are favorites
Blend all ingredients together
Brush over fish and marinate for 30 min
Air fry for 10 min at 400 degrees.