Sugar Snap Kids Approved: Apple Maple Cereal Bars
Fall Apple Maple Cereal Bars
Remember when your parents would hand you a Nutrigrain bar as a "healthy' snack? With 13 grams of sugar- it was a total energy crash. These healthy apple maple cereal bars clock in at less than half that amount of sugar. They are gluten free, dairy free, grain free and refined sugar free and SO much more delicious than a packaged bar. We made them seasonal and delicious with apple butter and one of our favorite products: ChocZero maple syrup in lieu of honey. These are perfect to grab for kids (or grownups) who need a quick, clean breakfast or snack on the go! Added bonus? Flax seed provides omega-3 fatty acids, lignans and fiber, which improve digestive health, lower blood pressure and bad cholesterol.
Adapted from Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Photo: Robyn Schmidt
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp finely ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup room temperature coconut oil
- ¼ cup Choc Zero maple syrup
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pure apple butter (check the label- apples and spices should be the only ingredients)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the flours, flaxseed, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the coconut oil, honey, eggs and vanilla extract in a stand mixer bowl and beat for 30 seconds on medium-high until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients beating until well combined.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into balls. Place each ball on a piece of plastic wrap and flatten into a disc. Wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove each disc from the fridge and place it on a piece of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment over top, and roll each out to about ¼ inch thick and trim into a large rectangle.
- Spread the apple butter on one of the large rectangles
- Use a spatula to carefully lift flip the plain large rectangle and place it on top of the rectangle with the apple butter.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into bar size rectangles.
- Dip your fingers in a little water and gently seal the bars on all sides by pressing the two rectangles together on the edges.
- Transfer the parchment paper with the bars onto a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes.